Solo traveling is the ultimate dream of many and once you have saved enough to go through with it, you can hardly contain your excitement. Some people are good with thorough planning and other things like packing the right stuff, how to save money on booking, the right way to approach locals, etc. as it comes with experience.
So what about first-time solo travelers? We have got you covered. Here are some tips for first-time solo travelers that can help you on your trip.
1. Share your Google location with someone you can rely upon at all times. For security and just in case.
2. Embrace loneliness. You will be partying and talking to people from all over the world but you will be growing when you are alone. Pick up reading or any other habit while you are alone.
3. Don’t shy away from talking to people first. Most people are there to learn a new culture and about you. Just a simple ‘hi’ and ‘where are you from’ will lead to endless conversations.
4. Manage your budget. It’s easy to get carried away and splurge. Be mindful of your ultimate goal and daily budget. It’s important to have fun but not at the cost of spending everything in one go.
5. Not everyone cares for you. While in a hostel, be careful of your important stuff. Almost everyone leaves their stuff lying around in the hostel but your important stuff is your responsibility alone. If it’s gone, there is hardly anything you can do about it.
6. Don’t plan a lot. Have a general idea of the direction you are moving but keep it flexible so as to stuff interesting things along the way with interesting people.
7. Do whatever the fuck you want (as long as it’s legal). You are traveling solo so you don’t have to ask anyone and you don’t have to tell anything. That’s the beauty. Your happiness is of paramount importance.
8. Don’t be afraid to engage with locals. Language can be a barrier so if you are visiting a foreign place, take some time to learn the basics of the local language, it helps a lot.
9. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. It is easy to get overwhelmed and you may think that no one can come to your rescue in this foreign land but you’ll be surprised to know that people will be more than happy to help you.
10. Be aware of scams. Some people will be able to identify you as a tourist so make sure you quickly do basic research before agreeing to a fare, accessing certain places, buying something, etc.