The word “Niagara” is derived from the Iroquois Indian word “Onguiaahra” which translates into “the strait”. Situated on the border between Canada and the United States, Niagra Falls refers collectively to a set of three of waterfalls namely, American Falls, Bridal Veil Falls and Horseshoe Falls. Geologists suggest that Niagra Falls were created approximately 10,000 years ago due to Wisconsin glaciation. The combined falls together form the highest flow rate of any waterfall in the world. Located on the Niagara River, the falls form the southern end of the Niagara Gorge. Thus, the falls are a delight to witness and also renowned for being a valuable source of hydroelectric power.
It wouldn’t be a lie when we say that Niagra Falls remain spectacular all year-round. However, depending on the type of tourist you are, you can choose which month to visit Niagra Falls in. If you don’t mind crowds, then summer, that is the months of June, July, and August is considered to be peak season for Niagra Falls. This is also an excellent time to spot rainbows. Temperatures range from 32 C to 9C. Winter months tend to get chilly as the falls get Arctic air from Canada. But tourists can avail heavy discounts during this time. Spring and Autumn are also good seasons to plan a vacation to Niagra Falls.
As far as accessing Niagra Falls is concerned, that is really not a problem as it can be reached from various cities. So visitors have the option of taking a flight to Buffalo, Ontario, Toronto and Cleveland. After that, Niagra Falls can be reached through public transport or by hiring a private vehicle.
Before exploring Niagra Falls, it is important to understand that every section of the fall has its own breathtaking beauty to offer. The Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side, happen to be the largest out of the three and are separated by Goat Island with the American Falls on the other side. Thus, it is recommended that tourists visit both the American and Canadian sides to enjoy a wholesome experience.
Some of the interesting attractions of Niagra Falls are:
• Maid of the Mist: This is a boat ride which is available both on the American and Canadian sides and takes the tourists down around the bottom of the falls. It is an experience watching the magnanimity of falls from this perspective.
• Cave of the Winds: This is an elevator which takes tourists down to a walkway leading to the bottom of the Bridal Veil Falls.
• Niagara Fallsview Casino: This casino sits on the Ontario side of the falls and is the best way to unwind in the evenings. With 150 table games and several thousand slot machines, try your luck here!
• Aquarium of Niagara: Home to more than 1,000 different species of fish, it is open every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Don’t miss your chance to feed a seal in the aquarium.
• Skylon Tower: The best point to partake Niagra Falls from a height. At a towering height of 775-foot, Skylon Tower offers particularly breathtaking views of the Horseshoe Falls.
For a complete and wholesome vacation, plan a trip to Niagra Falls soon!