Explore Hong Kong : Top 7 Things To DoPosted by: admin, Posted on: 2 years ago
A former British colony, Hong Kong is a popular tourist destination. Its diversity makes it a fascinating place to explore. An important hub in East Asia, Hong Kong has global connections with many of the other important cities of the world. Hong Kong had been a British Colony for nearly 150 years. Its sovereignty was transferred to China in 1997, after which it was declared a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People’s Republic of China.
Hong Kong is a traveller’s delight and some of the most exciting activities to do in Hong Kong include:
• Victoria Peak: Enjoy a panoramic view of the city from Victoria Peak. A famous vantage point, enjoy one of the finest harbors on Earth with a lofty skyline in the background. The sunset is a good time to enjoy the glorious view which the peak offers. Victoria Peak can be accessed via the Peak Tram, which departs from its terminus on Garden Road. The tram runs continuously from 7am until midnight.
• Island Hopping: Hong Kong happens to be a sprawling archipelago of more than 260 islands. Lantau, Lamma, Peng Chau and Cheung Chau are the ones closest to the mainland and can be accessed via the numerous ferries. Load a picnic box and set off through the scattered islets.
• Pink Dolphin Spotting: Spotting dolphins in itself is an achievement but getting a chance to interact with pink dolphins, that is one experience only Hong Kong can offer. From the small fishing village of Tai O on Lantau island, tourists take boat tours to spot the native pink dolphins.
• Hogging Dim Sums: A trip to Hong Kong would be incomplete without eating the delicate, yet extremely flavourful dimsums. Pick one of Hong Kong’s many fine Chinese restaurants or one of the street side stalls and eat dim sums to your heart’s content.
• Visit The Big Buddha: Situated on Lantau island, at a height of 34 metres, Tian Tin Buddha happens to be the largest outdoor seated Buddha in the world. To access the massive bronze statue, will require the traveller to climb 268 steps. But the fantastic views make the climb worth it.
• Street Shopping: You can’t visit Hong Kong without shopping. The Temple Street night market is one of the best options in Hong Kong for street shopping. It starts with Jordan Road and terminates five blocks north on Kansu Street. Everything from bizarre medicines to counterfeit watches can be found here.
• Trip on the Star Ferry: This happens to be one of the cheapest and most enjoyable forms of transport in the city. Get on at Tsim Sha Tsui and head to Central to get great views of the Hong Kong skyline. There are 12 boats in the fleet and the crossing takes seven minutes.
There are so many more things to do in Hong Kong. But for starters, this list is good enough! Happy exploring !